I think we packed about three months' worth of life into October, and that explains why I feel so tired today. October tends to be like that. I dream of some year having a mostly finished house and being on top of life in general, so I can celebrate November 1st properly, like Bev! This morning I settled for taking the boys outside, and they came back muddy from head to toe, but happy. If mud brings little boys happiness, our yard is going to bring the chidren a lot of happiness.
Two Saturdays ago, while I was waiting for the in-laws to arrive, I spent a lot of time outside, too. I'd taken on an ambitious project for the afternoon: I'd decided to wash the playpen. I wouldn't normally actually soak a playpen in water, but desperate times call for desperate measures. The playpen was still bloodstained from the incident where Daniel had tried to climb in while Caleb was sleeping, had fallen on top of Caleb in the process, and given him a nosebleed. There was also an odour about the playpen which I suspect was Eau de Tsu, even though I didn't catch her in the act. The worst smell on the playpen was actually the result of Anthony trying to remove Eau de Tsu with Oxy-Clean. The long and short of it is, I decided that since it was a nice day, I'd give the playpen a much needed thorough cleaning outside, with the garden hose and laundry soap.
So to avoid having wet clothing, I changed into shorts and a t-shirt and went at it. Just for the record, I don't recommend cleaning a playpen this way, or else I recommend using a lot less soap than I did, because rinsing was a long and arduous process involving staying outside for most of the afternoon.
Staying outside for most of the afternoon, by the way, was lovely. I couldn't believe I was outside in summer clothes, no shoes, splashing around in water, on October 22nd! When does that ever happen? (Other than on October 22nd?)
The playpen bottom has something firm inside it, either very stiff cardboard or plastic, I guess. I had no idea if it would survive being wet, but I doused it with detergent and water anyhow. Then I decided to do what they do on How Clean Is Your House? and do a little dance on the thing. Too bad I never had tap-dancing lessons; it would have helped immensely. (I was so not properly prepared to be a homemaker!) Anyhow, not knowing how to dance didn't stop me from stomping all over that thing.
While wearing shorts.
With bare feet.
Splashing outside in soapy water.
On October 22nd!!!!
I do hope the neighbours weren't watching.