Friday, September 23, 2011

I love you, Daniel

Daniel woke up coughing and gasping tonight. He was  obviously having trouble breathing, so Anthony took him in to the IWK. Needless to say, I was worried. The good news is, it's croup and they can treat him and he'll be fine.

It looks like the crisis is past, but I'm amazed at how easily and deeply shaken I am by the mere thought of the slightest possibility of ever losing Daniel. I love him. I love his smile. I love his laughter. I love his sweet little voice. I love his unique way of looking at the world. I love the way he's full of energy from morning till night. I love his imagination. I love his funny speeches. I love it when he gets up in the morning and comes to me and asks to snuggle with me. I love the way he gives hugs to his brother and sister. I love the way he curls up in a little ball to go to sleep. I love the way he asks me to kiss his boo-boos and dry his tears. I love the way he walks around holding his blankie, with his thumb in his mouth. I love watching him run when we play outside. I love watching him play with his trains and build things. I love tickling him and teaching him and cuddling him and just being with him.

Daniel makes me laugh. I can only dimly remember what sort of things made me laugh before I had Daniel. There must have been something, because I've always had an overactive sense of humour, but the things I used to laugh about have been largely crowded out by Daniel's antics. And the way he laughs! It's not one of those halfhearted little giggles, it's a full-fledged belly laugh. It's absolutely contagious. I don't know if he gets his sense of humour more from Anthony or from me, but any sort of mixture of Anthony's sense of humour with mine is going to have very interesting results in the long run! One thing's certain: our family will never, ever need cable TV for entertainment!

Mommy loves you, Daniel. :)